New LRT Begins
Kuala Lumpur News
New LRT Begins
Do you have any interesting Kuala Lumpur news or stories to share?
30 December 2009
What a way to end the year! The long awaited 4-car Kelana Jaya LRT (Light Rail Transit) begins today.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) about Kelana Jaya LRT
When will the new 4-car LRT service commence?
- 30 December 2009
How many new train set will there be?
- Initially 3 train. The balance of the 35 train sets ordered will arrive in stages. Expected completion of delivery is 2012. Total cost of these 35 new 4-car trains is RM1.5 billion.
What is the capacity of these 4-car trains?
- Between 500 pax to 1000 pax (in sardine mode) per 4-car train
What about the old 2-car trains?
- They will be refurbished and will run alongside the new trains.
When did the LRT service commence?
Are there any seats on these trains?
- Yes, each car will have 32 seats.
What is the speed of these trains?
- Normal operation speed: 80 KM /h
- Maximum speed: 90 KM /h during peak hours
Who manufactured these LRTs?
- They were made by Bombardier Transportation. The new train set are Advanced Rapid Transit Mark II Driverless Trains models. They were assembled in Mexico and Malaysia.
What's new with these trains?
- special area for wheelchair pax equipped with seat belts
- more comfortable seating arrangements
- alarm-lights for hearing impaired
- flip windows for emergencies
- new signaling system for better efficiency and lower service interruptions
What about the Ampang LRT lines, will it new train too?
- There will be no new trains for Ampang line. They are still 30% under utilised.
What is the official website of Syarikat Prasarana Negara Berhad or SPN?
What do you love about Kuala Lumpur?
What's the #1 thing that you love. And what's your # 1 thing you hate about Kuala Lumpur? Share with us your kudos and complaints about Kuala Lumpur.
If you find this page helpful please recommend it by clicking on these buttons: