Malaysia's National Museum, Kuala Lumpur
Opening Hours & Entrance Fees
- Opening Hours: 9:00 AM - 6:00 PM daily
( except during Aidil Fitri and Aidil Adha)
- Admission: RM 2, Children below 12 years: Free
Check out the Events for 2010
Contacts and Address
- Department of Museums Malaysia
Ministry of Information, Communications & Culture Malaysia
Jalan Damansara, 50566 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
- Tel: 603-2282-6255
- Official Website: http://muziumnegara.gov.my
Quick Facts about Muzium Negara
- Built: 1906. It was originally the Selangor Museum
- 1963: Officially opened
- Architect: Mr. Ho Kok Hoe
- Murals: 110 metres wide, made of Italian glass mosaic tiles at a cost of RM135,000 was donated by philanthropist Dr. Lee Kong Chian
- Mosaic on left hand side of the museum depict history of Malaya from the Melaka Sultanate
- Mosaic on right, depict the culture and handicrafts of Malaysia
- 2008: Upgraded at an extimated cost of RM20 million
Galleries & Exhibits
Main building block with 4 galleries
- Galleries A - pre-history
- Gallery B - Malay sultanate
- Gallery C - colonial era
- Gallery D - Malaysia today
Rear SectionThree halls at the rear section of the museum ground functions as temporary exhibition halls.
Front SectionThe Malay world museum and the aborigines museum.
Facilities at Museum Negara
- Parking per entry:
- RM2 for car or bus
- RM1 for motorcycles
- Cafeteria and Souvenir Shop.
- Wheel chair and disabled access
- Access to the lift is through the rear entrance facing the outdoor vehicle exhibits. You have to go through the souvenir shop to get to the lift
- Toilet: Sorry folks - it's now RM 0.30 or 30 Sens per entry. It was FOC until June 2010
Muzium Negara is one of the few museums that allows you to bring your camera and video cam into the galleries.
However, they are for personal and private purposes only. Thus, no tripods and other fancy stuff, ok?
Dos and Don'ts
- No Pets allowed
- No smoking
- No eating or drinking inside the galleries
- No wearing of motorcycle helmets
- No littering
- No touching of exhibits
Free Guided Tours of the Musuem
by Muzium Volunteers Malaysia (45 - 60 minutes)
- Time: 10:00 AM
- Duration: usually 1 hour
- Schedule of language guides:
- English: Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays
- French: Thursday mornings - prior reservation at the main entrance desk is required.
- Japanese, Dutch, German, Malay, Danish, Russian and Polish: available on request.
- 26th Febuary - 28th March
- Pottery and Ceramics, Muzium Negara
- 1st April - 20th July
- Exhibition of Caskets/Coffins, Tradition and Mystery (galleries opposite Muzium Negara)
- 5th April - 2nd May
- Exhibition Celebrity Costumes, Muzium Negara
- 11th June - 13th July
- Exhibition on the Glories of Malaysian Football, Muzium Negara
- 13th July - 31st August
- Exhibtion on 'Stings and Bites, Muzium Negara
- 17th August - 19th September
- Exhibition 'Unsung Heroes', Muzium Negara
- 21st September - 31 December
- Exhibtion 'Dinosaurs', (galleries opposite Muzium Negara)
- 28th September - 7th November
- Exhibition on Philatelic and Numismatic, Muzium Negara
Go to the top of this Muzium Negara page
What do you love about Kuala Lumpur?
What's the #1 thing that you love. And what's your # 1 thing you hate about Kuala Lumpur? Share with us your kudos and complaints about Kuala Lumpur.
If you find this page helpful please recommend it by clicking on these buttons: