You'll be awed by the magnificent towers, the tallest twin towers in the world. It was the tallest building in the world from 1998 to 2004, before being surpassed by the Taipei 101.
- Architect: Cesar Pelli (Argentinian-American) and Associates of America
- Start of construction: March 1993
- Building completed: March 1996
- Official Opening: 31 August 1999
- Tower 1 Building Contractor: Hazama Corporation of Japan
- Tower 2 Building Contractor: Samsung of Korea
- Height: 451.9 metres
- Height of each Pinnacle: 73.5 metres
- Number of Floors: 88
- Floor Area: 395,000 sq m
- Number of Lifts: 10 sets in each tower
- Number of Steps in staircase: 765 steps
- Cost: RM1.8 Billion
- Tower 1: (603) - 2331 4444
- Tower 2: (603) - 2331 8240
- Official website: http://www.petronastwintowers.com.my
View KLCC Map in a larger map
And do enjoy the most exclusive shopping mall in Malaysia, the Suria KLCC Shopping Mall, at its base.
Architecture of Petronas Towers
It was made essentially from reinforced concrete, with a stainless steel and glass exterior. The design is based on Islamic geometric design of superimposing squares forming an 8-pointed star with circular infills. This symbolizes unity, harmony, stability and rationality which are 4 important values of Islam.
As the towers were constructed by contractors of two very competitive countries, you can imagine the amount of rivalry between them to complete the towers. After much competition, the Korean company managed to complete the tower one month ahead of its Japanese rival.
Council of Tall Buildings Certification
Although there were some controversies as to the title of tallest buildings when the twin towers were completed, it was nevertheless certified by the Council of Tall Buildings and Urban Habitat to be the tallest building then. The antenna on top of the Sears Tower was not considered as a permanent part of the building whereas the spires on top of the Petronas Towers were.
Tenants of Petronas Towers
Tower One is occupied by Petronas, the national oil company of Malaysia.
Tower Two, originally reserved for companies which had been accorded the Multimedia Super Corridor or MSC status, is now occupied by multinational corporations like Accenture, Al Jazeera News Network, Boeing, IBM, Microsoft and Reuters.
Don't miss visiting the famous Petronas Skybridge which joins the two towers.
The Skybridge at 170 metres above ground, is the tallest sky bridge in the world.
Famous Movies shot at Petronas Towers
- 1999: Entrapment, starring Sean Connery and Catherine Zeta-Jones
- 2006: Don, starring Bollywood superstar Shah Rukh Khan.
Go to the top of this Petronas Towers page
What do you love about Kuala Lumpur?
What's the #1 thing that you love. And what's your # 1 thing you hate about Kuala Lumpur? Share with us your kudos and complaints about Kuala Lumpur.
If you find this page helpful please recommend it by clicking on these buttons: