This is the largest pewter factory and showroom in the world. It is also sometimes called Malaysia's tin museum. I recommend that you visit the Royal Selangor Pewter together with the magnificent Batu Caves as they are close to each other.
Quick Facts about Selangor Pewter
- Selangor Pewter was founded in 1885 in Kuala Lumpur by Yong Koon
- Received Royal Charter: 1992
- Industry: Metal craft
- Products: Pewter, jewelry and silverware.
Selangor Showroom Address
- Website: Royal Selangor Showroom
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Address: 4 Jalan Usahawan 6, Setapak Jaya,
- 53300 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
- Telephone: 603 4145 6122
- Opening Hours: 9.00 AM - 5.00 PM daily
- Admission Fee: Free
- Parking at Royal Selangor Pewter: Free - ample parking lots available
How to go to the Royal Selangor Visitor Center?
Easiest way is to take a taxi from Kuala Lumpur. It should take you about 30 minutes and cost you no more than RM25 one way.
You can also take the Putra LRT and stop at the Wangsa Maju terminal. From there take a taxi to the Visitor Center. It is a 5 minutes drive and should cost you no more than RM10.
Let's visit Royal Selangor Showroom.
History of Selangor Pewter
Originally started by Yong Koon, an immigrant from China in 1885.
He started as a maker of pewter objects, mainly paraphernalia for prayers in his small shop known as Ngeok Foh or Jade Peace.
Yong Koon made things like joss sticks holders, incense burners and candle holders for homes and temples.
In those days pewter was polished with "stone leaf" (tetracera scandens), which is a kind of tropical shrub with abrasive foliage.
You may still this plant if you visit the Visitors Centre in Setapak, Kuala Lumpur.
Later, request came from the British residents of Malaya for things like tankard, ashtrays and teapots.
Soon he renamed his business Selangor Pewter. Products designed by Selangor Pewter were in demand in countries like Singapore, Hong Kong and Australia.
This demand later expanded to Europe and Japan. Today it is exported to over 20 countries and has shops all around the world.
The Selangor Sultan, the late Sultan Salahuddin, accorded Selangor Pewter the royal charter in 1992 for its excellent craftsmanship and quality. It is the only pewter factory accorded the royal charter.
Some of the awards:
- Design Plus, Frankfurt International Gift Fair in 1989 and 1991
- Gift of the Year, Gift ware Association, UK, in 1997
- Red Dot Award, Germany Design Zentrum, in 2002
- Good Design Award, Japan Industrial Design Promotion, in 2002
Guinness Book of World Records
To mark its centenary in 1995, the largest pewter tankard, certified by the Guinness Book of World Records, was made. This pewter tankard has since traveled to many places as an exhibit. Don't forget to take a picture of it when you visit the Visitor's Centre.
- Height: 1.987 metres
- Weight: 1,557 kilograms
- Capacity: 2,796 litres
Tour of the Visitor's Centre
When you visit the centre, you'll be greeted by an in house guide who will take you through the gallery which is a fascinating interactive tin museum. Then you'll be given a refreshing complementary cool drink served in a pewter cup.
Pewter has the quality to makes cold drinks even colder and thus even more refreshing.
The tour will bring you into the production area where you'll see first hand how pewter is made. From casting, filing, polishing, soldering, hammering to engraving.
You'll also be able to observe how fine jewelry is made.
Check out some great ideas at Royal Selangor showroom.
Dos and Don'ts
- Photography is allowed in the Visitors Centre, except the showroom
- Display your Visitors tag, provided by your guide, on your shirt during your visit
- Do enjoy the complimentary drink served during the tour
- Observer that non-smoking rule in the Visitor's Centre.
School of Hard Knocks?
You may even enroll in an hour-long pewtersmithing workshop for as little as RM50, in the School of Hard Knocks. Here you'll be taught the basic skills to design your own pewter dish using traditional tools. The dish will be yours to keep after the course. Group size is between 5 to 50. Prior arrangement is necessary.
Royal Selangor Pewter Showroom
At the end of the tour you can enjoy yourself in the best pewter showroom in the world. Here you can shop for your precious pewter ware or just admire the finish products.
Some of the hot items include:
- Royal Selangor Chessboards
- Royal Selangor Lord of the Rings
- Royal Selangor LOTR Chess Sets
- Royal Selangor Wine Decanter
- Whale Wine Decanter by Royal Selangor
Go to Selangor Pewter showroom and check out what's on offer
Go to the top of this Selangor Pewter page
What do you love about Kuala Lumpur?
What's the #1 thing that you love. And what's your # 1 thing you hate about Kuala Lumpur? Share with us your kudos and complaints about Kuala Lumpur.
What Other Visitors Have Said About Kuala Lumpur
Why not be the first to share YOUR story here?
If you find this page helpful please recommend it by clicking on these buttons: